Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Kingdom of Colton- Raimund's Story: Chapter 1

 



The hammer rose and fell, clanging loudly against the blade with each strike. The blacksmith turned the blade a bit each time he struck, shaping the steel into a finely crafted blade.


Raimund didn’t like forging swords. He was a simple village blacksmith, and preferred to tend to the simpler needs of the village: horseshoes, wheels, bands for the cooper, and the like. But times were changing; the impending threat of war with Vermain meant every able bladesmith was commissioned with forging swords for the king’s army, and Raimund was among the most able.


Jocelyn approached softly from behind. “Take a break, my love. If you keep driving yourself, you’ll pass out in this heat.”

He thrust the sword into the cooling trough without turning. “It wasn’t shaping right, anyway. Why aren’t you busy at the wizard’s manor? He’d switch your arse for lollygagging, if he could.”

“I… he let me take some time. I haven’t been feeling well.”

He turned to her, setting the hammer on the anvil as he did. “Take some time? I know that face, Joss. Something’s not right.”


“Please, Raimund. Just let it be.”

“Joss… What aren’t you telling me?”

“Please, Raimund. Don’t make me…”

“Joss, when we stood at the altar before all the gods, you promised there would be no secrets between us.”

“Please don’t hate me, and please don’t do anything rash.”

“I could never hate you. Just tell me.”


The tears began to flow down Jocelyn’s cheeks. “The damned wizard. Yesterday, just before I was to leave for market, he began with his games, as he always does. He knows I’m a married woman, and faithful before all the gods. He revels in taunting me, in inviting me to betray you with him.”

“I know. You’ve told me before. They’re just games, nothing more. It’s best just to let him have his fun. He’s never harmed you.”

“That was… before. Yesterday was different. This time, he was with his little quarter-blooded clam-eating apprentice. He asked her if she fancied me. She did, and does. It’s in her twisted nature. She loves the company of women, beautiful women.”


So they teased you a bit more than usual. No harm done.”

“There’s more. She told him of the things she would do to me, if she had half a chance. She looked at me, longing-like, and hinted what she would do to me given the opportunity.”

“Gods.”

“And just like that, Emric tossed a spell. I don’t know what happened, gods help me, I couldn’t stop myself. I wanted the little quarter-blood, burned with desire for her. I was ensorcelled, and hers to command.”

“He spelled you? The bastard.”

“Raimund, you promised. Let me finish.”

“Go on, then.”

“They took me upstairs, to his laboratory, where no-one could see us. They took off my dress, and their own clothes as well. And then… by the Warden, Raimund, I can’t lie. It was beautiful. The things she did to me, and showed me how to do to her. The little wizard just stood there, a few feet away, petting his weasel the whole time. I hated myself for loving it so, for wanting to give all I had to Braegwyn in that moment.”

Raimund grit his teeth, wanting to interrupt but daring not to.

“It was beautiful, up until the end. Emric made us kneel, and let his seed cover our faces. It had been all for his amusement, to humiliate me. I think he resented me for rebuffing him so many times.”

Unable to remain silent a moment longer, Raimund bellowed. “That little cunt.” In his rage, he tossed the hammer a good forty feet.

“Raimund, you promised. Please, just let it be. Emric is powerful, and has powerful friends. You know how much it hurts me to suffer it in silence, but if you try to retaliate, it will only end poorly for both of us. I beg you, Raimund, let it be.”


“For now. But this isn’t over, not by half.” He swept her into his arms. “I love you, Joss. What happened isn’t your fault. But you know I can’t let this go unanswered.”

No comments:

Post a Comment