Monday, March 11, 2024

Kingdom of Colton- Chapter 14: The Wizard

 



Elyse made her way quickly to the wizard’s manor.

Having spent half the morning cajoling her father into allowing her tutor to take her to the town square, and then promptly ditching her tutor, Elyse had no time to lose. There were things of greater importance than learning to be a lady or the ideal wife to some milksop noble.

Bittekwort, for example.


Even though he seemed intent on the musty tome he was studying, Emric had no trouble discerning that it was Elyse who had entered his home. Without looking up, he spoke. “Lady Elyse. What a pleasant surprise. What brings you here?”

She responded with a question. “Where’s Braegwyn?” “In her quarters, studying. Very busy, my apprentice.”

“And Joss?”

“The poor thing is feeling ill, so most likely she’s resting at home.” He neglected to mention what he'd done to her while she was under the glammer, or more accurately what Braegwyn had done while he watched. “What can I help you with, young Lady Elyse?”


“I was hoping to speak to Braeg. It’s a… feminine concern, of some delicacy.”

“I understand. I’m sorry, but Braegwyn is indisposed. I’ve been known to be discreet concerning these feminine concerns, as you call them.”


“This is no game, wizard. I’ll come back when Braeg is free.” If indeed she could break away again.

“She may be indisposed for some time. If the matter is so urgent that you had to slip Sister Theldred and disobey your father, it must be of great concern indeed.”

“Damn it! Stay out of my head.”

“Very well. It must have taken some time to think up this ruse, and Lord Darron will be doubly cautious next time. But I’m sure the opportunity will present itself again.”

“Fine, gods damn it. I need your help, but no one else can know. Promise me.”


“By all the gods.”

“I’ve longed for the company of men for moons now. I’m not Hannah, who can just drown out that part of her brain with prayers and cold baths. I need it. I’ve always been careful before, but this time my need was great, and when I was with Miles, I got careless. I can’t just show up at the greengrocer like a common lass and buy a bunch of bittekwort; they’ll know what it’s for and the rumors will spread. That’s what I came for. Bittekwort.”

“Miles, then?”

“Gods, Emric. He’s a thick-skulled farmboy, but I’m a woman and I have needs. Don’t judge me. Do you have it, or not?”

“Patience, dear Elyse. These things require patience. It just so happens that I do indeed have a very large supply of bittekwort, for occasions just such as this one. I’d be happy to part with it…”


“Thank you, Emric! I could kiss you.”

“…for a price. And if you need the bittekwort as much as you claim to, you’ll be doing a lot more than kissing me.”

“You insolent son of a… My father could have your head for even suggesting that. I could go to him right now…”

“And explain to him what? That you’re in a family way and I won’t part with my bittekwort? Go ahead. Tell him.”

She snorted in disgust. “Fine. I suppose that if that’s the price I have to pay. Get your cock out and I’ll do it quickly, with my hands, and be done with this business.”

“No. That’s not nearly enough. You and Braegwyn are close. I’m sure she’s told you about my… unique proclivities.”

“Gods! I’m a noblewoman. Can we at least come to an understanding? My hands and my mouth?”

“And I’m a master wizard. If I chose, I could just put a glammer on you and you’d be none the wiser, and still in a family way. You’ll give me every part of you, if I ask it of you, and I’ll give you two measures of bittekwort. As I see it, you’re not in a good position to barter.”

“Fine, but… hands, mouth, and quim? I haven’t… not in the arse… not even with Miles. Please?”

“There’s a first time for everything, young Elyse. All or nothing. What’s it to be?”















No comments:

Post a Comment