Sunday, March 3, 2024

Kingdom of Colton- Chapter 1: The Farm

 

The steady clippity-clop of Dove’s hooves announced Robert’s arrival. As her cousin Murdo, shirtless, busily pitched hay for the horses, and Murdo’s wife Olga went about other various chores, Nell leaned against the farmhouse, sighing heavily. Robert’s arrival brought her out of her funk.

Robert reined in Dove. “I’m sorry.” He shrugged affably. “The job took a lot longer than I expected. Had to stay an extra two nights.”

Murdo and Olga, underwhelmed by Robert’s late arrival, had moved on to other tasks. “Why so long?” Nell asked, furrowing her brow. He had said it would be a week, no longer. She’d been worried sick, longing for her betrothed’s return.

“The damned millstone cracked. We had to carve out a new one and set it. The miller’s brat wasn’t much help, either. I think he might be the one who got the damned waterwheel jammed to begin with. Anyway, it’s over, and none too soon. There’s more than enough work to do around here.

Nell came over and stood next to Dove, stroking his neck slightly. “I’ve missed you, you know. Murdo and Olga are good company, but it gets cold at night.”

“I’m sorry. It couldn’t be helped. I’ll make it up to you later.”

Swinging a foot up into one of the stirrups, she grabbed the saddle horn and began to pull herself up. “You’ll do no such thing, Robert.” She smiled playfully. “You’ll make it up to me now.”


“You don’t mean…” Robert began, taken aback. “It’s half a day’s ride from here to the mill at Ribald creek, and I haven’t bathed.”

“I don’t care. If I wanted a perfumed dandy, I’m sure I could find one in town. I like your scent. It smells… masculine.”

“There’s just no convincing you otherwise, is there?”

“You know me better than that. When I need it, I need it. Enough talk. Get out of your clothes.”













No comments:

Post a Comment